Carrot Stick

Yahoo! Avatars

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Thing 20: Social Networking and Libraries

I looked at both MySpace and Facebook to see how they compared. Facebook was a more simple interface with no advertising! MySpace had several flashy, colorful ads going on - just a busier interface than FaceBook. The initial interface of Facebook was a more "get down to business" and start networking page.

I joined Facebook with a short profile. I also made a library fan club for my library – “CCS Library Fan Club.” I will think about how I might be able to use that in the future. I made this “club” under the group app but now I see I could have done it under “places.” The trouble is I cannot find the “places” app??

I looked at several FaceBook applications, Books iRead and the MN Twins Fan Clubs – but did not join any at this time. I think joining up with Scrabulous players sounds fun. It is cool to see people designing their own apps.

Believe it or not, I set up my whole Facebook account and profile before I watched the "How to use Facebook" video series. Dumb. Now I know what the wall is. It's where people post notes and messages to each other - you can write on each other's wall. Like unwanted grafitti it's a good thing there is a delete button handy at the wall.

I really liked the Denver Public Library Teens profile. It was a really fun place to visit with lots of great things to join and play with. The YouTube video for last summer’s reading promotion was super cute and well done. I think I will play it for my students right before summer vacation!

No comments: