Carrot Stick

Yahoo! Avatars

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Thing 3: Set up an RSS account and add feeds

I set up a feed with Google Reader.

I can understand the beauty of an aggregator like this for specific areas of interest at specific times of need. I just don't have the inclination at the present time to read, read, read so many words! I am reading all day long professionally and personally. It is overwhelming to me to be on the receiving end of so many words. I feel that if I want to know something I would rather initiate the search to find out that information specifically - and not be deluged by the incessant chatter of throngs of know-it-alls.

If I could find a good professional site which had information I could really use day to day I would be inclined to check that out.

I used the search box in Google Reader to find a blog I wanted and I copied and pasted a news website into the Google Reader subscription box.

I personally have a great need to get away from so much "screen time." The addictiveness of reading news, opinions and gossip that is changing and being added every minute to online information sources only serves to glue me ever tighter to my chair in front of the computer screen.

Perhaps my blog name is very appropriate for how I feel - I am "stuck" to technology that I feel is more imprisoning than it is freeing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hear you, Carrot Stick! I'm not keen on building more time passed with the computer monitor - I try to minimize that in my life! You are right - sometimes we are wowed by the technology and don't really evaulate if it provides a useful function.