Carrot Stick

Yahoo! Avatars

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Thing 14: LibraryThing

I think I could make good use of this website - and recommend it to others.
http://www.librarything.com

I have been keeping a list for several years, as a Word document, of all the books I read. I can now enter them here, write a quick personal review - and check out what other people said about the book. Cool.

I found my LibraryThing Local, looked around the page - but cannot find the "save" button anywhere!! Someone tell me where it is - so I don't have to keep reloading my location. There were no member in the two location I looked up.

"Zeitgeist" (tab) is interesting. Lots of stuff to click on. I like to see what tags other people are using.

With LibraryThing (GuruLib is another) I can look at other people’s personal catalogs and interact with them based on their shared items. This type of sharing has lots of positive effects. For example, if you liked a book that someone else liked too, then you probably will like other things they have read – which you can check out.

It’s interesting how public libraries use “tagging” from LibraryThing’s social data to include in their online catalogs’ book records; i.e. Danbury CT Public Library – like searching Amazon for a book. These tags are: “folksonomies, crowd-sourcing, a populist concern for authority, and a cooperative method for constructing it.” http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6535083.html

I did make a title entry today. Added a tag and short review. I am glad to know about this library social cataloging application.

Other social networking applications include interests in music, movies. For music: Discogs, Rate Your Music. For movies: Flixster

1 comment:

23 Things said...

I am thinking that $15 barcode reader might make sense--esp if you have a lot of books! to add.

Great work on the Things. Keep it up.