Carrot Stick

Yahoo! Avatars

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Thing 28: Customized Home Pages

What is this?
These are personalized start pages -- also known as Web desktops or customizable portals - the convenience factor being the main appeal. "Instead of visiting 10 sites every morning, you just load your browser."

This start page combines all the web service pages I use to one access page or feed aggregator - which becomes MY HOMEPAGE! - it's a one stop solution to corralling all my activities on the Internet, i.e. where I can view content from many feeds in one location.

I chose Netvibes because it seemed to get the best reviews. It is very customizable and provides social functionality by being able to share modules with others.

Personal comments:
O.K. That was fun. I got my home page all set up. It looks pretty and is pretty functional. I named it "Karen's What's Up Page." I especially like the box where I can make notes to myself. I also like the fact that I can check both my email accounts from the same place!'

I can see where this type of re-mixing web pages all in the same location would be real handy for any group of people working together on the same thing - like staff or classroom projects.

No comments: