Carrot Stick

Yahoo! Avatars

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Thing 27: Twitter


I will not get a Twitter account at the present time.

For a person who keeps her cell phone turned off in her purse and rarely makes an outgoing call - maybe every other month - Twitter does not interest me.

I reluctantly joined Facebook. I only go on it when someone asks to be my friend.

I am feeling the same way I did during the first 23 things on a stick - only more so. Our world has become sooooooooo "It's all about me." In the name of socializing we have our noses in our handheld devices all day long - our hardware - and not looking into the eyes of the flesh and blood people around us.

I thought blogging was so "it's all about me!" now we have microblogging that answers the question, "What are you doing?" for all the inbetween times when we're not blogging! How arrogant! For all the gems that come out of Twittering there a truck loads of time-wasting refuse.

I love my family and friends. I have a husband, children, neighbors, colleagues, church friends - but I pick up the phone when I want to say something socially - and that is not very often. I can email when I want to say something - but that is not very often. I am a private person who likes to live a quiet life with the least "noise" possible. I listen to music and audiobooks, watch little TV, and I read, read, read professionally and recreationally. I leave email to Monday to Friday and don't care to check it over the weekends.

I read all the intros and viewed all the videos for this "thing."
I go the most out of David Lee King's "10 ways for librarians to use Twitter."
http://www.davidleeking.com/2007/03/10/twtter-explained-for-librarians-or-10-ways-to-use-twitter/

I understand what he is saying- I am just not interested. Maybe someday, if I glean it to be professionally useful or to be part of a life-important network - but I will certainly not use it socially.

No comments: